Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pops1

How do I claim Jan-Feb 2019 rrsp contributions in 2019 rather than 2018

I've over contributed for 2018 IF I include contributions made in the first two months of 2019.  My thinking is I don't need to claim all of the Jan-Feb 2019 contributions for 2018, so just claim what I need and use the rest as 2019 contributions.  Can I do this?  How?

1 Reply

How do I claim Jan-Feb 2019 rrsp contributions in 2019 rather than 2018

You'll need to report the entire amount of your RRSP Contribution on your tax return, and TurboTax will automatically carry forward the amount in excess of your contribution limit to the following year. The Canada Revenue Agency allows you to overcontribute to your RRSP's one time in the amount of $2,000 without there being a penalty.  If you overcontributed in the First 60 Days, you still need to report the contribution on this year's tax return, you can claim the overcontribution on your income tax return next year. 

If your overcontribution exceeds the $2,000, (or you have previously overcontributed $2,000 or more), you may be required to pay the 1% tax per month on the excess contributions, or you can choose to withdraw the excess. 

Here's some information from CRA on what happen's if you exceed your contribution limit: https://bit.ly/2HWYMU3