Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yulmil

HOW DO I CLAIM TAX CAREER EXTENSION

1 Reply

If you are living in Quebec you can claim a Tax Credit Career Extension.

Tax  Credit for Career Extension is available for seniors age 60 years or older for certain eligible work income. It is a non-refundable tax credit claimed on line 391 of the Quebec return TP-1 and is available for Canadian residents as of December 31st of the tax year. The maximum credit amount for a senior between 60 and 64 years old is $1,500. While the maximum amount of the credit for a 65-year-old or over is $1,650.

To claim the Québec Career Extension tax credit in TurboTax, follow the applicable steps below.

Instructions for TurboTax Online

Note: Before you begin, complete the Intro/Profile part of your return until the Find button appears in the menu.

1. Select Find, enter Québec Credits Profile, and select Go
  2. Check the box for a Tax credit for career extension for workers who are 60 years or older, then select Continue
  3. Your EWI amount is listed on the Tax credit for the career extension screen. If $ 0.00 is shown, you need to enter your eligible income amount(s) in TurboTax before repeating Steps 1-3
  4. Complete the applicable fields, then select Continue
  5. From the menu, select Review, then Bottom Line (Tax Summaries)
  6. On the Let’s Review Your Numbers screen, select Detailed Tax Summary under Review Summary
  7. Scroll to the bottom and select Québec Detailed Tax Summary
  8. Your credit amount is listed under Non-refundable tax credits next to line 391

Instructions for TurboTax CD/Download

Note: Before you begin, complete the Introduction/Profile part of your return until the Find button appears in the menu.

1. Select Find and enter credits profile
  2. Select Québec credits profile, then Go
  3. Check the box for a Tax credit for career extension, then select Continue
  4. Your EWI amount is listed on the Tax credit for the career extension screen. If $ 0.00 is shown, you need to enter your eligible income amount(s) in TurboTax before repeating Steps 1-4
  5. Complete the applicable fields, then select Continue
  6. From the menu, select PROVINCIAL, Québec, then Detailed Québec tax summary
  7. Your credit amount is listed under Non-refundable Tax Credits next to Volunt. firefighter, elderly worker, graduate in remote regions

For more information, please see our TurboTax FAQ.

Can I use TurboTax to prepare my Québec TP1 tax return in either English or French?

How do I claim the Québec Career Extension tax credit?

Thank you for choosing Turbo Tax.