Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I contributed to my RRSP in Feb as opposed to March for the next year. My contributions are over the deduction limit. How do I enter this data separately in turbotax?

in Feb 2021 I bought RRSPs thinking some could apply to 2020 and some to 2021. Apparently anything in Feb is only for the prior year. As a result I have an overcontribution to my RRSPs. I going to deduct some on my 2020 and some on my 2021 tax returns. I was trying to enter the amount I wanted to deduct on my 2020 return but turbotax won't let me, it will automatically put my deduction limit. Is there a way to select the amount I want to deduct if it is over the limit and not the same as the deduction limit?
1 Reply

I contributed to my RRSP in Feb as opposed to March for the next year. My contributions are over the deduction limit. How do I enter this data separately in turbotax?

No, because you can't deduct more than the limit. This Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) webpage has more information on RRSP over contribution: What happens if you go over your RRSP deduction limit?