Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to use the amount of tuition fees that the tax program applies automatically as I am getting a refund. I want to carry more forward. How can I change this?

3 Replies

I don't want to use the amount of tuition fees that the tax program applies automatically as I am getting a refund. I want to carry more forward. How can I change this?

You can't change how much tuition is being used. You have to use as much as possible on your current return before you can transfer or carry forward any tuition.

I didn't go to school or buy textbooks in 2023 but it is forcing me to apply the Federal Tuition, Education and Textbooks Amounts, it should be zero. It gave me the option to delete it and I did but it is showing up regardless. Is there any way to fix this? 

@TheFantasticFiend You can't change how much tuition is being used regardless of wither it is new or carried forward from a previous year.