Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 50K of Alberta tuition credits to carry forward to 2018 and now work in Nova Scotia. TurboTax only carries an amount equal to the federal tuition credit (32K).

My 2017 Assessment gives me about $52,000 of Alberta tuition credit carry forward. I moved to Nova Scotia for work and while the $52,000 shows up on the Carry Forward worksheet, the Schedule NS(S11)  only brings over $32,000 which is the amount equal to my Federal tuition carryover. Anyone know why?

1 Reply

I have 50K of Alberta tuition credits to carry forward to 2018 and now work in Nova Scotia. TurboTax only carries an amount equal to the federal tuition credit (32K).

The rules for what tuition can be used vary by province, but for Nova Scotia, if you didn’t live in the province on Dec. 31, 2017, then you must use your unused Federal tuition, education & textbook amounts as your unused Provincial amount. If you look at the actual form, it has this information at the bottom: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/5003-s11/5003-s11-18e.pdf