Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a $$ amount in my box 28 of my T4A pension and retirement form. What is this for? This was for a summer job in 2021

7 Replies

I have a $$ amount in my box 28 of my T4A pension and retirement form. What is this for? This was for a summer job in 2021

Box 028 of the T4A slip is to add other income, which includes amounts that are not reported anywhere else on the T4A slip. Yes, this can be for the summer job you performed during 2021, if it is a form of other income which is different from your regular income. 

For more information visit Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website - T4A slip

Ok   

Then when I place the number into Turbo Tax and answer yes or no to their question. 

Turbo Tax now thinks I am self-employed?  Which I am not. 

Ugh    Is this a bug?     Thank-you 

what should I do now?

Yes - this is a bug.

The TurboTax software incorrectly assumes that a T4A Box 28 entry implies not only self-employment but that you have an actual business running and won't let you proceed without filling out forms - e.g. T2125B's. 

The bug is still present even 2 years later. 

This is the last year I use TurboTax

Please see the image below to enter your T4A box 28 so it is not counted as self-employment.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

jelenaz

Same thing happened to my son. He worked a casual job and received a T4A slip with the amount in box 28. He is not self employed, but it is asking him now to declare that he is and asks for an upgrade. If the request for upgrade is ignored, he gets an error at the end. SO ANNOYING!

Please see the image below to correctly enter the box 28 of the T4A information slip in the return. Please choose No to indicate the income is not for self-employment and that there were no fees charged for services.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.