Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have calculated over $8000. worth of eligible medical expenses for my mother in 2018. Yet, on the review, it lists only $53. as eligible ..why is it not larger?

2 Replies

I have calculated over $8000. worth of eligible medical expenses for my mother in 2018. Yet, on the review, it lists only $53. as eligible ..why is it not larger?

Please make sure that the 12 month period that you have chosen to claim medical expenses for corresponds to the dates of the expenses. Ex: If you chose June 2017 to July 2018, then any expense from before June 2017 will not be claimed.

You also may want to check that the expenses are not going to her spouse (if she has one).

You can get back to the Medical Expenses part of the interview by selecting Deductions> Medical Expenses Profile and then using the Continue button to go through the pages until you get to the right one.

If you are still unable to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support as they will be better able to assist you: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3152013

no spouse and years are consistent there has to be a better reply; something in the profile, I guess.