Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vmv

I have tuition credits & unused tuition from past years. Turbotax shows I owe taxes for the ON HealthPremium even with thousands of tuition credits.

I have unused tuition credits carried over from previous years, as well as new tuition from this year (in the tens of thousands). I owe tax for the Ontario Health Premium despite having all these credits. Is there no way to use these to reduce my taxes to 0? Turbotax is carrying over unused ones from this year, so there should be plenty to apply from this year alone, let alone previous years.

1 Reply

I have tuition credits & unused tuition from past years. Turbotax shows I owe taxes for the ON HealthPremium even with thousands of tuition credits.

Effective January 1, 2017, the federal education and textbook tax credits were eliminated. This measure did not eliminate the tuition tax credit, and it does not affect the ability to carry forward unused education and textbook credit amounts from years prior to 2017.  When you enter your carry forward amounts, TurboTax will automatically use as much of your credits as necessary to reduce your federal and provincial net tax owing.  You may want to contact the Canada Revenue Agency to verify the amount of unused tuition credits that you have available.  The Canada Revenue Agency can be reached at 1 800 959 8281.