Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made a mistake on my 2021 taxes. I didn't enter the full RRSP contribution, only the amount I was claiming. How do I correct this?

In the first 60 days of 2022 I contributed $5000. I only claimed $2500 deduction for 2021 and only listed the $2500. As a result, I didn't have "excess still to claim". In the first 60 days of 2023 I contributed $2500, and claimed $2500 deduction, presumably from 2022 contribution. Now I want to claim the 2023 contribution, but because I didn't enter it into 2022 return, again I don't have excess. I believe I have to go back and amend 2021, but don't know how or where to do this.
1 Reply

I made a mistake on my 2021 taxes. I didn't enter the full RRSP contribution, only the amount I was claiming. How do I correct this?

You will need to review your contributions in your MyAccount to see exactly what was missed. Because of the different deductions made during 2022 and 2023, you will need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to clarify what may have already been included in your file since they received your RRSP information already. Your contributions may have already been added to your past returns during the assessments. Adjustments may need to be made to the 2021, 2022 returns and possibly to your 2023. Please contact the CRA by calling 1-800-959-8281. They will be able to help and adjust for you over the phone if you insist. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.