Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I transferred investments and was penalized Deferred Sales charges in the following, RRSP, TFSA, Non Register. Are any of these charges can be claimed as a deduction

There were no fees charged, just DSC costs which are substantial and I am hoping that at least the Non-registered DSC can be claimed as a deduction

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I transferred investments and was penalized Deferred Sales charges in the following, RRSP, TFSA, Non Register. Are any of these charges can be claimed as a deduction

As you probably already know, the fees related to your registered accounts (TFSA, RRSP) are not deductible in any way.

The DSC fees you have been charged on your "Non Registered" accounts can be used in the calculation of the ACB as described below to reduce the amount of any Capital Gains.

Commissions paid for the purchase or sale of securities are not deductible expenses for tax purposes. Instead, purchase commissions form part of the adjusted cost base (i.e. purchase price) of the investment and sales commissions reduce the proceeds on sale. As a result, these costs are taken into account in computing the capital gain or loss on the ultimate sale of the related securities and the related tax benefit of these commissions is therefore limited to one-half of the expense — the capital gains income inclusion rate. Mutual fund load fees (i.e. front end or deferred sales charges) are treated like purchase and sale commissions for tax purposes. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

As you probably already know, the fees related to your registered accounts (TFSA, RRSP) are not deductible in any way.

The DSC fees you have been charged on your "Non Registered" accounts can be used in the calculation of the ACB as described below to reduce the amount of any Capital Gains.

Commissions paid for the purchase or sale of securities are not deductible expenses for tax purposes. Instead, purchase commissions form part of the adjusted cost base (i.e. purchase price) of the investment and sales commissions reduce the proceeds on sale. As a result, these costs are taken into account in computing the capital gain or loss on the ultimate sale of the related securities and the related tax benefit of these commissions is therefore limited to one-half of the expense — the capital gains income inclusion rate. Mutual fund load fees (i.e. front end or deferred sales charges) are treated like purchase and sale commissions for tax purposes.