Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anon765

I want to add 2017 and 2018 total tuition fees to my student summary. I have TTStandard for my 2019 return, used the free version for 2017 and 2018. How do I do this?

I have additional amounts available from those years to carry forward into future years that I want recorded.
1 Reply

I want to add 2017 and 2018 total tuition fees to my student summary. I have TTStandard for my 2019 return, used the free version for 2017 and 2018. How do I do this?

Tuition expense is a non-refundable credit.

Amounts are reported on a T2202A or equivalent slip, and must be used to reduce tax payable in the current year. Any credit left over may be either transferred to a parent or spouse, or carried forward.

Note that use of Tuition credit is NOT optional. The software will apply any eligible credit to reduce or eliminate tax payable. Your only choice is to carry forward or transfer, and only credit earned in the current tax year can betransferred.

Unused Tuition is tracked by CRA and amounts are reported on your Notice of Assessment.

Amounts may be seen in My Account and are downloadable using AutoFill (AFR).

If you have unused Tuition, you can enter amounts under the Tuition section of 'Deductions'.

Amounts of unused credit are applied to reduce tax payable automatically. There is no option to voluntarily postpone the use of unused amounts. CRA knows your unused amount of tuition and they will apply for credit even if you don't enter any amounts of carrying forward yourself on your current return.