Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to transfer tuition tax credits from child to mothers return but turbotax automatically deducts the amount on the fathers return. How do I correct this

5 Replies

I want to transfer tuition tax credits from child to mothers return but turbotax automatically deducts the amount on the fathers return. How do I correct this

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

I am having the same issue using the online version 

@Christina291 Does the mother have any taxes owing? The tuition transfer credit can only be used to reduce an amount owing, not generate or increase a refund.

Sorry it’s not tuition it is the disability amount for my child.  It said it is because he has the higher income but he is not the caregiver that is approved through CRA

@Christina291 Unfortunately, if you are using TurboTax Online, there is no way to change who gets the Disability transfer from a dependant. You can file the returns without the transfer and submit an adjustment to add the transfer later. Or redo the returns separately, so you can put the transfer on the right return without the software moving it to the wrong spouse.