Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe32

If someone else(WSIB) pays tuition fees and books for me, can I still use the tuition and books credit in my income tax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If someone else(WSIB) pays tuition fees and books for me, can I still use the tuition and books credit in my income tax?

In this case, no.

If your Tuition Fees have been paid or reimbursed by a third party (IE: Service Canada, Employer, WSIB), you can only claim the Tuition & Education Amounts if the amounts paid have been included in your income.

WSIB considers tuition to be an “expense” so it won’t be added to your income. Therefore, you cannot claim tuition, education and textbook amounts if WSIB paid for your tuition.

See the following CRA link;

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/323/dctn-eng.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies

In this case, no.

If your Tuition Fees have been paid or reimbursed by a third party (IE: Service Canada, Employer, WSIB), you can only claim the Tuition & Education Amounts if the amounts paid have been included in your income.

WSIB considers tuition to be an “expense” so it won’t be added to your income. Therefore, you cannot claim tuition, education and textbook amounts if WSIB paid for your tuition.

See the following CRA link;

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/323/dctn-eng.html

Hmom
Returning Member

I have this case for my daughter. Her job paid for a 3 month course and did not include tuition on her t4 but the school sent cra a t2202 which was uploaded to turbo tax. My question is do I say yes or no on turbo tax to question were you a student and how do I stop turbo tax from using the tuition as a credit?  Thank you.

Fees paid by your employer cannot be claimed. Please see CRA link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re... 

Tbone71

What if my employer only paid 70%  of my tuition fees? Am I allowed to claim the other 30%?

@Tbone71 Yes, you can claim the part of the tuition that your employer didn't pay/reimburse.