Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim previous years interest on investments, assuming they are eligible as per line 221, if I have not previously claimed it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim previous years interest on investments, assuming they are eligible as per line 221, if I have not previously claimed it?

Interest earned on investments or interest paid on investment loans needs to be reported in the tax year it was earned or paid.  If this interest is from previous years you will need to do an adjustment to the appropriate year's tax return. This can be done online using your My Account with CRA or using a T1ADJ paper form that would be mailed to CRA.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Interest earned on investments or interest paid on investment loans needs to be reported in the tax year it was earned or paid.  If this interest is from previous years you will need to do an adjustment to the appropriate year's tax return. This can be done online using your My Account with CRA or using a T1ADJ paper form that would be mailed to CRA.