Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LF1
Returning Member

I have $1200 unused carry-over RRSP contribution from last year that I am using for this year's filing. I am brought to the Refund of Unused RRSP screen. Please help.

I am not sure how to fill in the three field it asked me to.

1. Enter the total contributions you made to your RRSP, PRPP, or SPP, and your spouse or common-law partner's RRSP or SPP for the year in which you made the unused RRSP, PRPP, or SPP contributions.
  2. Enter the part from the above amount that you deducted or will be deducting on your tax return for any year
  3. If you are including an amount in income for RRSP, RRIF, or SPP amounts that your spouse or common law partner withdrew, enter the amount you are reporting as income.

5 Replies

I have $1200 unused carry-over RRSP contribution from last year that I am using for this year's filing. I am brought to the Refund of Unused RRSP screen. Please help.

It sounds like you may be on the wrong screen.

If you used TurboTax last year and used carry forward or you used Auto-Fill My Return (AFR), your unused RRSP contributions should already be pulled into this year's tax return.

If you didn't use carry forward or AFR, you can follow these steps in TurboTax Online to add them:

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find.
  2. In the Find window, type Unused RRSP and select Go. If you downloaded from the CRA Auto-Fill My Return service or carried forward your return from a prior year, you may already have an amount for unused RRSP/PRPP contributions in your return.
  3. Confirm the amount; or, answer yes to the question Do you want to change this amount? and enter your amount.
LF1
Returning Member

Thank you Jocelyn.  I did get to select the carryover amount and also how much of the carryover and this year’s contribution I want to deduct. However the next screen was the refund of unused rrsp screen.  I’m not sure what this screen is for and if I should just skip it and not fill any figures.

You can enter "0" on this screen, it's not related to your carry forward amounts. The "Refund of unused RRSP" screen is only for when you've made an over-contribution and submitted T746 to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
LF1
Returning Member

Thank you for your quick response Joselyn.  I think it doesn’t apply to me which is great.

However, from the cra it doesn’t seem that this form is for over contributing rrsp. It’s about withdrawing rrsp? https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/t746/t746-17e.pdf

You can ignore that form, doesn't apply in your case.