Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Havisham

My ex-husband works overseas, and sends money each month for our adult kids (both in college) expenses - should I claim this as child support, even though they're adults?

I receive a very generous child support allowance monthly to pay for our kids (school, rent, life, etc).  It saves him having to pay out random bits all the time. Since it all goes to them (and then some) I want to be sure I'm not going to be penalised for it, so I want to continue to claim it as child support even though they're both now over 18.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My ex-husband works overseas, and sends money each month for our adult kids (both in college) expenses - should I claim this as child support, even though they're adults?

If you have a court order that you are receiving child support payments and the court order was written before May 1997, you may have to report those payments as income on your tax return.  If your court order was written after April 1997, those payments do not need to be reported on your income tax return.  Please refer to this link for more information, https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/suppor...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you have a court order that you are receiving child support payments and the court order was written before May 1997, you may have to report those payments as income on your tax return.  If your court order was written after April 1997, those payments do not need to be reported on your income tax return.  Please refer to this link for more information, https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/suppor...