Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ron145

My son has unused tuition credits but Turbo Tax calculates as zero being max I can get - why???

5 Replies

My son has unused tuition credits but Turbo Tax calculates as zero being max I can get - why???

If your child meets all requirements set out by the CRA, you're eligible to receive tuition transfer amounts on your tax return. However, there are some important differences regarding how, and from whom, you can claim transferred tuition, and the process of claiming these amounts (and the amounts themselves) can vary depending on these differences. Follow the applicable steps below to enter transferred tuition into TurboTax.

How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse/partner or child?

Please make sure that on Line 9 of Schedule 11 for 2023 of your son's return that it shows $5000, if not then you will not be able to claim the $5000. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ron145

I did his taxes just before mine, and box 9 does show an amount of 1713.58

Please see our TurboTax FAQs to review the steps needed to claim and transfer the tuition. 

How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else? 

How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse/partner or child?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ron145

i'VE FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS BUT WHATEVER AMOUNT i ENTER IT TELLS ME THE MAXIMUM CLAIM IS ZERo.

Not Yelling - can't type!

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.