Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcbeardy

My student loan went into collections with Employment and Social Development Canada. Is the interest paid on that debt deductible like normal student loan interest paid?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My student loan went into collections with Employment and Social Development Canada. Is the interest paid on that debt deductible like normal student loan interest paid?

It depends on the status of your loan.

If your student loan debt has already led to a judgement against you, then interest is not deductible. If there is no judgement and you have not consolidated your loan, you can claim the interest. Contact Employment and Social Development Canada to find out the current status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It depends on the status of your loan.

If your student loan debt has already led to a judgement against you, then interest is not deductible. If there is no judgement and you have not consolidated your loan, you can claim the interest. Contact Employment and Social Development Canada to find out the current status.