Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdube27

My T2200 says I was in school for 4 months, but my program was 13 weeks. If I enter 4 months, I won't qualify for CWB. CWB says you qualify for 13 wks. How do I file?

This seems like a mistake in how the University reports on the T2200 in months, and CRA is using weeks.
7 Replies
kdube27

My T2200 says I was in school for 4 months, but my program was 13 weeks. If I enter 4 months, I won't qualify for CWB. CWB says you qualify for 13 wks. How do I file?

Sorry, I meant T2202.

If your T2202 says 4 months then you need to enter that information or have your educational institution make the change on the information slip.

As per our TurboTax article: How to Apply for the Canada Workers Benefit "You’re not eligible if you are a full-time student at a designated educational institution (unless you have an eligible dependant)....."

For clarification please call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

kdube27

The part that is not clear is the semester is 13 weeks. The T2202 says 4 months. However, the article you linked says more than 13 weeks. So if the student went to school for one semester, which is 13 weeks (and the T2202 counts not weeks but months), how does this make sense? How does one override this in TurboTax, as the government is asking for it to be reported in weeks (as your linked article states) not months. 

Does it say part time or full time on the T2202? As soon as it is indicated full time, the student does not qualify for CWB.

For clarification please call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

kdube27

Thanks, I will reach out to them, as it says:

You are not eligible for the CWB if any of the following applies:

• Are enrolled as a full-time student at a designated educational institution for more than 13 weeks 

So, if you were enrolled as a full-time student for 13 weeks (not more than), you should not be disqualified. Except, T2202 count months September, October, etc., not weeks, like 13. 

So, if you were a full-time student of just 13 weeks, how does one file this on Turbo Tax?

Please follow the instructions in our FAQ and video for directions.

How do I claim my tuition fees?

How to claim T2202 Tax Form: Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate / TurboTax Support Canada

Nancyxu

This happened to me. 4 month full time T2202. The online version didn't override the CWB so I accidently claimed the full amount of CWB. The NOA immediately prorated the CWB. I think this is a software issue, if CRA allowed for prorate, the software should have the function to do so. Hope this helps