Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woronw
Returning Member

My two kids both receiving their dad death CPP child benefits. Can one child be designated to claim both T4A(P) in his tax return?

I am a single mom; I want to claim youngest child as a dependent. Can I designate the oldest one to claim both kids’ T4A(P) income since he also has more income from part time job?

If I claim the youngest as dependent, is it okay for my youngest to still file a tax return to get the taxes and UI deductions taken off from his summer job?  It amounts to almost $50, a lot of money for a child.

1 Reply

My two kids both receiving their dad death CPP child benefits. Can one child be designated to claim both T4A(P) in his tax return?

Sorry, you are unable to combine the amounts of the Child Benefits received by your children, they must be reported on each child's own tax return. 

If both children worked they need to file their own tax returns including the T4A(P) income and income from their jobs. It will be more beneficial to you to claim the child with the lowest income, but your claim for the Eligible Dependant Amount will be reduced.