Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help figuring out what Investment income exempt under a tax treaty

I got a 1042-S tax slip as I have some shares in a US company and received some dividends from it - non cash. I have $55.00 of gross income reported but at the same time there is a Chapter 3 indicator and underneath it says 3a exemption code 02 (which basically means exempt under IRC). In my TurboTax return in Foreign slip section, I put $55 as Investment Income, do I need to put the same amount under Investment income exempt under a tax treaty?

I don't see any taxes withheld in the 1042-S tax slip.

3 Replies

If it is exempt, then you would only enter it under "Investment income exempt under a tax treaty".

@TurboTaxSusan, Thanks for replying to my post. How would I know if it's exempt? I have attached a snip of the tax slip below

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 2.58.07 PM.png

If you are not sure if the amount is tax exempt, you can check the Canada/US Tax treaty:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/tax-policy/tax-treaties/country/united-states-a...

Or you can contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency