Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unused Tuition Fees VS T2202A

I have an amount that was "carried forward" from previous years. I also inserted my info from my T2202A for 2016. Are these amounts different or the same? I don't want to over deduct my income taxes.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No these are not the same.  The carried forward amounts are tuition fees that you had from previous years which were not used in previous years' tax return.  The T2202A you received this year are for the 2016 current taxation years.  I would however just verify the "carried forward" amounts with your notice of assessment or CRA my account just to verify they are the same.  

Therefore, you are allowed to used the carried forward amounts and the T2202A amounts you have for 2016.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No these are not the same.  The carried forward amounts are tuition fees that you had from previous years which were not used in previous years' tax return.  The T2202A you received this year are for the 2016 current taxation years.  I would however just verify the "carried forward" amounts with your notice of assessment or CRA my account just to verify they are the same.  

Therefore, you are allowed to used the carried forward amounts and the T2202A amounts you have for 2016.