Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diwa96

I already completed my tax return but I need to transfer my tuition fees to someone. Is there a way I can go back and edit the tuition deduction?

3 Replies

I already completed my tax return but I need to transfer my tuition fees to someone. Is there a way I can go back and edit the tuition deduction?

In order to transfer your unused tuition credits to someone else, you'll first need to inform them of the precise amount(s) so that they can claim them on their own tax return. The first step is to enter your income information into TurboTax, then claim your tuition fees. TurboTax will then automatically calculate the maximum amount of credits you may transfer to another party.

Follow the applicable steps below to transfer your unused tuition credits in TurboTax:

Instructions for TurboTax Online

1. Select Find from the top right-hand side of the screen, then enter students into the search bar.
  2. Select Students from the search results, then select Go. The Your Student Profile screen appears.
  3. Select Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent, or grandparent, then select ContinueLet’s get you some tax breaks for going to school! screen appears.
  4. Select Done with Tuition Fees. Proceed through your return until the Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal) screen appears.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the unused amount of federal tuition you want to transfer, then select Continue.
  6. If you live in a province that allows provincial tuition credits, you'll be prompted to enter those amounts next.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

You can request a change to your tax return by amending the amount entered on specific line(s) of your return. Do not file another return for that year, unless the return you want to amend was a 152(7) factual assessment.

Wait until you receive your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return.

Generally, you can only request a change to a return for a tax year ending in any of the 10 previous calendar years. For example, a request made in 2022 must relate to the 2012 or a later tax year to be considered.

There are two ways to adjust your tax return: ReFILE and by mail

For more information, please see the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link as How to change a return

Thank you for using TurboTax

You can make changes to a filed tax return by filing an adjustment or by using Refile. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that you wait until you’ve received your Notice of Assessment (NOA) before filing an adjustment. In many cases, the CRA will catch the mismatch and automatically adjust your return for you.

How you file your adjustment depends on how your original tax return was filed, and whether it was a federal or Québec return.

For more information please visit  I have filed my tax return. Can I still make changes?

Thank you for using TurboTax.