Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have finished a course to upgrade my work. Where do I write this as an expense

I have finished a course to upgrade my work. Where do I write this as an expense
1 Reply

If your employer has provided you with a T2200 that says you were required to take this course, you can deduct your course fees as an employment expense on your tax return. To do this in TurboTax Online:

1. Open your TurboTax return. At the top of the page, click the "Find" icon.
  2. When the search bar appears, type in “emp”, select “Employment Expenses” from the list, then click the “Go” button.
  3. This will take you to the Employment Expenses page. Select the box if you are eligible to claim employment expenses, then click Continue.
  4. Once on the Employment Expenses Profile page, select T2200, then click Continue.
  5. On the next page, check off the box next to Other Employment Expenses. Answer the other questions on the page, then click Continue.
  6. Once on the Other Employment Expenses page, you can enter your employment expenses. If there is no specific box for your expense, you can enter it in “Other Expenses”. If you have more than one “Other Expense” you can put the total of all your other expenses in the box.
  7. Select Continue to save your work.

If you didn’t receive a T2200, you may still be able to deduct your course fees as a tuition expense. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to do this: How do I claim my tuition fees?

This Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) explains what you can claim as a tuition fee: Eligible tuition fees

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.