Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the first 60 days of 2021 I contributed about 10K to my RSSP to only to found out I exceed 2020 limit by 4K, can only use 6K for 2020 and the excess for 2021 ?

since the money were contributed in 2021 im thinking i can allocate portion of it to 2020 RRSP and the rest to 2021 RRSP ?
3 Replies

In the first 60 days of 2021 I contributed about 10K to my RSSP to only to found out I exceed 2020 limit by 4K, can only use 6K for 2020 and the excess for 2021 ?

If your 2020 Deduction Limit was $6000, that’s the maximum you can deduct, from 2020 income, full-stop. Any further contribution will show up as an undeducted contribution on your 2020 Notice.

It will also be an excess contribution, and will exceed the allowed $2000 amount that CRA permits without penalties.

You can withdraw all or some of the excess ( you must notify CRA) or let it ride, deduct it in 2021 and accept penalties.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA,  if you contribute more to your RRSP than your RRSP deduction limit allows, you will have an excess contribution.

Generally, you have to pay a tax of 1% per month on excess contributions that exceed your RRSP/PRPP deduction limit by more than $2,000 unless you:

• withdrew the excess amounts
  • contributed to a qualifying group plan

If you have to pay this 1% tax, fill out a T1-OVP, 2020 Individual Tax Return for RRSP, PRPP and SPP Excess Contributions return and send it to your tax centre. Pay the tax within 90 days after the calendar year to avoid late-filing penalties or interest charged.

You can ask the CRA in writing to consider canceling or waiving the tax if the following two conditions are met:

• your excess contributions on which the tax is based arose due to a reasonable error
  • you are taking, or have taken, reasonable steps to eliminate the excess contributions

Include the following with your letter:

• why you made excess contributions and why this is a reasonable error
  • any other correspondence that shows that your excess contributions are due to a reasonable error

Please visit our TurboTax article on RRSPs and Your Tax Return: The Bottom Line and How to Resolve RRSP Over-Contributions to learn more about RRSP contributions.

Thanks for your question. If you contribute more to your RRSP, PRPP or SPP, or your spouse's or common-law partner's RRSP than your RRSP deduction limit allows, you will have an excess contribution. 

Generally, you have to pay a tax of 1% per month on excess contributions that exceed your RRSP/PRPP deduction limit by more than $2,000 unless you:

• withdrew the excess amounts
  • contributed to a qualifying group plan

If you have to pay this 1% tax, fill out a T1-OVP, 2020 Individual Tax Return for RRSP, PRPP and SPP Excess Contributionsreturn and send it to your tax centre. Pay the tax within 90 days after the calendar year avoids late-filing penalties or interest charges.

Please click here for more information.

How to Resolve RRSP Over-Contributions