Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jane12

Shall I file my 2018 tax first or previous 4 years first? While in university for 4 years with no income, I've never filed my tuition to CRA.

Since I started to work during 2018 (after graduation), I would like to claim tax credit from my tuition. But it seems like I need to file previous years first to get the amount. In this case, in which order shall I file my taxes? Since I did not have any income during 4 years in school so I believe there's no tax I need to pay. 

6 Replies

Shall I file my 2018 tax first or previous 4 years first? While in university for 4 years with no income, I've never filed my tuition to CRA.

You will need to file the previous four years in order that your Tuition & Education Amounts CarryForward. Even if you had no income to pay tax on, you may be eligible for Provincial Benefits and the GST/HST Credit for the years you haven't filed. 

Once the previous years are filed, you''ll be able to file your current year return and CRA will apply these Tuition Credits for you automatically.

Here's a link to prior year TurboTax Software:  https://bit.ly/2GFeN0H

Jane12

Thank you for your quick reply!
So you mean I have to file in order from 2014 one by one to obtain the tuition amount carry forward. But shall I wait until I hear from CRA after each one? I know for 2014 and 2015, I have to mail it to CRA but I'm afraid that waiting time for each will be long and wont be enough time to report 2018's by due date. Also, how do I declare that I want to carry forward the whole available tuition credit forward?

You'll probably be safe to file your 2018 return as soon as you receive the NOAs from 2016 & 2017. You can apply those credits that CRA will already have on record at that time. If you use all your credits from those years on your 2018, CRA will apply the older ones and adjust your 2018 return for you as soon as the process the paper filed tax returns.
Jane12

I see. Thank you very much for your clarification. Just one more question. If they process my previous years' return later than newer ones, do I need to amend all the new returns for updated credit amount?

No, tuition is the one thing that CRA will automatically apply for you as soon as you need it. So all you need to do now is file those previous years returns, wait until you get your NOAs for the couple you've NetFiled, and then proceed with 2018. Happy Tax Filing!!
Jane12

Sounds good, much appreciated!:)