Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I enter my excess amount on my T4RIF as withdrawal payment, transferred to a RRSP or Transferred to a RRIF?

1 Reply

Should I enter my excess amount on my T4RIF as withdrawal payment, transferred to a RRSP or Transferred to a RRIF?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Excess amounts from a RRIF

Filling out your Income Tax and Benefit Return

Reporting the income

The excess amount directly transferred to another of your RRIFs should not be reported on your T4RIF slip. Do not report the amount transferred as income on your income tax and benefit return, and do not claim any deduction for the amount. However, if you received the payment in cash or by cheque before making the transfer, it is taxable on your return in the year it is received.

The excess amount is shown in boxes 16 and 24 of your T4RIF slip unless it is directly transferred to another RRIF for you. Report the total amount shown in box 16 on your income tax and benefit return.

• If you were under 65 on December 31 of the tax year and had not received the payment due to the death of a spouse or common-law partner, report the income on line 13000 of your return
  • If you were 65 or older on December 31 of the tax year or you received the payment due to the death of your spouse or common-law partner, report the payment on line 11500 of your return

Claiming a deduction

• If you directly transferred this amount to your RRSP, claim a deduction for the amount on line 20800 of your return
  • If you directly transferred this amount to an issuer to buy an eligible annuity, claim a deduction for the amount on line 23200 of your return

Note

If you were 65 or older on December 31 of the tax year or you received the payment due to the death of your spouse or common-law partner, the payment that you report on line 11500 of your income tax and benefit return is eligible for the pension income amount at line 31400 on Schedule 1.

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.