Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I file my tax return first or file T1032A to withdraw the excess contribution of RRSP then file 2023 tax return?

My RRSP limit according to my last NOA is 14,578.00 but I contributed $17595.8 after including the contribution from Jan 01 - Feb 29th of 2024
3 Replies

Should I file my tax return first or file T1032A to withdraw the excess contribution of RRSP then file 2023 tax return?

You need to file the T1032A as soon as possible. You have until April 30 to file your tax return.

Hi, does T1032A has to come before the tax return submission? or should I just file the excess RRSP contribution amount in my 2023 tax return ? I see that it can take up to six weeks to get a response on T1032A submission but that'd be after the April 30th tax return deadline. 

Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong form.

The T1032 Joint Election to Split Pension Income is part of your tax return, and will be sent together with the rest of your tax return forms. You can't use it to fix your over-contribution, though.

This CRA webpage explains how to deal with an Excess Contributions: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/rrsps-related-plans/contribu...