Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The maximum tuition available to transfer keeps coming up as $0.00. It will not allow me to transfer tuition to a parent.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The maximum tuition available to transfer keeps coming up as $0.00. It will not allow me to transfer tuition to a parent.

Thank you for your question.

The amount of transfer that is available is based on both your income and your total tuition credits available. If you look at your student summary, it will show you how much you have available and how much you are using in 2016. Also, the amount available to transfer. If the amount is $0, it is based on your own claim. Also, important to note is that once tuition is carried forward, it is not longer eligible to transfer(example unused credits in 2015 carried forward to 2016).

Step by Step- Tuition Transfer

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1190216-how-do-i-transfer-my-unused-tuition-credits-t...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Thank you for your question.

The amount of transfer that is available is based on both your income and your total tuition credits available. If you look at your student summary, it will show you how much you have available and how much you are using in 2016. Also, the amount available to transfer. If the amount is $0, it is based on your own claim. Also, important to note is that once tuition is carried forward, it is not longer eligible to transfer(example unused credits in 2015 carried forward to 2016).

Step by Step- Tuition Transfer

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1190216-how-do-i-transfer-my-unused-tuition-credits-t...