Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AB_to_ON

Transferring provincial tuition tax credits to parents after moving from Alberta to Ontario

Hello,

I attended the University of Alberta from 2013 to May 2019. In October 2019 I moved to Ontario from Alberta so I am submitting my taxes as an Ontario resident for the first time.

My understanding is that I cannot keep my provincial tuition tax credits because of the province switch, however, is it possible for me to transfer some of my tax credits for this year to my parents who still reside in Alberta?

Thanks!
1 Reply
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Transferring provincial tuition tax credits to parents after moving from Alberta to Ontario

Only the federal amount. As of Oct 2019, you have lost all your Provincial tuition amount, so there is none to transfer to your parents. However, you have a maximum of $5000 or your tuition fees (whichever is lesser) federally to transfer. You will have to calculate the eligible amount using Schedule 11.

TurboTax will calculate how much of the tuition fees you will need to use for your taxes, and the rest from 2019 tuition you can transfer. here is an example of how to use the schedule 11:

According to schedule 11, reduce the none-refundable tax credit to zero. 

Line 5 is your income Line 6 is your non-refundable tax credits (without your tuition)

Line 7 is the difference between Lines 5 and 6 (no negative amounts) You will need to use your current and unsued tuition amount to bring Line 7's value to zero.

You apply your unused tuition amount first (Line 8 ) then you use from your current tuition amount (Line 10).

The total amount used is reported in Line 11. 

You will not be able to carry forward or transfer any amounts until you bring Line 7 to zero first. Then you can use section B of schedule 11 to determine the unused or transfer amounts. 

I hope this was helpful