Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Tuition and education amounts transferred from your spouse?

1 Reply
Level 2

Tuition and education amounts transferred from your spouse?

Thank you for your question!


As per CRA:


Transfer to Spouse or Common-law

The student may transfer an amount to their spouse or common-law partner. The student will complete and sign the transfer section of their tax certificate and provide the recipient of the transfer with a copy. The spouse or common-law partner would enter this amount in field 36000 of Schedule 2 and report this amount on line 32600 of their Income Tax and Benefit Return.


If the tuition fees being transferred to you are not shown on the student's tax certificate, you should have a copy of the student's official tuition fees receipt.

If you are filing a paper return, attach the applicable schedules to your return, but do not send your other documents for the amount claimed.

If you are filing electronically, keep all of your documents in case the CRA asks to see them later. For more information, go to E-services for individuals.

For more information please visit CRA's site as well as this FAQ

Thank you, for further information please contact us by phone or via private message on Twitter or Facebook.