Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I haven’t done RRSP for past two yrs but 2017 is above my limit for current yr how will I specify for prior yr unused amount or tax refund will be calctd in full contri

I am using turbotax standard 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I haven’t done RRSP for past two yrs but 2017 is above my limit for current yr how will I specify for prior yr unused amount or tax refund will be calctd in full contri

Under the "RRSP" tab select the option for RRSP contributions. Make sure to correctly update your RRSP Contribution Limit for 2017. Provide all of the receipt information for your contributions including any amounts for the first 60 days of 2018. The software will only allow a deduction for the maximum allowed by your limit and will then set up the balance as a carry forward. You can review this information under the RRSP Summary screen.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Under the "RRSP" tab select the option for RRSP contributions. Make sure to correctly update your RRSP Contribution Limit for 2017. Provide all of the receipt information for your contributions including any amounts for the first 60 days of 2018. The software will only allow a deduction for the maximum allowed by your limit and will then set up the balance as a carry forward. You can review this information under the RRSP Summary screen.

In the RRSP profile you can also specify unused RRSP contributions from prior years.

If reviewing unused amounts under the RRSP tab make sure that any amount included was not down loaded from CRA using Autofill as you may have had a carry forward on the CRA system. Verify amounts using the My Account login.