Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under Total Deductions & Credits, do I have to keep that stuff for 2023. Like Federal Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts T2202 - Tuition And Enrolment Certification?

3 Replies

Under Total Deductions & Credits, do I have to keep that stuff for 2023. Like Federal Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts T2202 - Tuition And Enrolment Certification?

Could you clarify why you want to remove them? If it's because you wish to claim the CWB instead, you do not have to claim your tuition but at the same time you cannot claim the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) as a full-time student. You will benefit from claiming your tuition when it is used to reduce your taxes in future years when your income is higher.

What is happening is your tax return was originally showing a refund of the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) that full-time students are not eligible for. As soon as you enter your T2202A, the credit is removed and your refund is reduced.

Based on your employment earnings the software calculates your entitlement to the CWB, however, the government disallows this benefit to students. So entering the T2202 Tuition Certificate slip causes a recalculation and removal of this amount from the refund.

More information on the CWB can be found here: Canada Workers Benefit (Working Income Tax Benefit before 2019).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you very much, that makes sense, What I mean by remove is when I come to the "Automatically fill in part of your return" section on Turbotax there is a little garbage can that appears beside 
Federal Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts, T2202 - Tuition And Enrolment Certificate UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, and Provincial Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts. If I press the garbage can button then my tax return value goes up quite a bit as you said it would. Thank you for the explanation

Glad it was clarified 🙂