Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are kind of new to Canada and I'm having some difficult understanding the transferable federal and provincial amounts for Tuition.

How do I calculate each one?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We are kind of new to Canada and I'm having some difficult understanding the transferable federal and provincial amounts for Tuition.

Tuition can only be transferred in the year that tuition is paid.  Once it is carried forward, it can no longer be transferred.  The tuition is entered on the student's return from the T2202A or T11. There is a box that must be ticked to allow the transfer.  The software will calculate the transferable balance. There should be a federal and provincial component.  The student has to use the credit first and whatever is not needed can be transferred.  On your return, you answer the questions regarding transfer of tuition from a child and enter the amounts given on the students form.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Tuition can only be transferred in the year that tuition is paid.  Once it is carried forward, it can no longer be transferred.  The tuition is entered on the student's return from the T2202A or T11. There is a box that must be ticked to allow the transfer.  The software will calculate the transferable balance. There should be a federal and provincial component.  The student has to use the credit first and whatever is not needed can be transferred.  On your return, you answer the questions regarding transfer of tuition from a child and enter the amounts given on the students form.

I'll give examples with fictional values.

I have paid 3,000.00 in tuition.

The federal part is saying I have 4,000 to transfer.
The provincial part is saying I have 3,800.00 to transfer.

Can I transfer this 2 full values?
Even though their sum is more than what I have paid? How does this work?

As well as the tuition you would have filled in the number of full time or part time months.  There is an amount credited for each one of those months for education and textbooks.  That can increase the tuition credit by a considerable amount. There is a provincial and federal credit for tuition.  So those are the maximum amounts you can transfer.  You can transfer both portions.

It is best to check the return of the person you are transferring to.  If you don't need to transfer it all, only transfer the amount they require to reduce their tax payable to nil.  No point in wasting it.  If you transfer it all and they don't need it, it's gone.