Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kat95

What page do I navigate to in order to choose the amount of unused tuition I want to use vs. carry foward?

My income is $30,000, unused federal tuition and education amounts $16019, unused provincial tuition and education amounts $12,026. The total amount of both are being claimed for this year and I don't know how to change it. There is no way I need that much deduction considering what my income is. Please help? I tried calling and there was no one to help. 

1 Reply

What page do I navigate to in order to choose the amount of unused tuition I want to use vs. carry foward?

As a non-refundable credit, if the tuition amount is greater than the tax owed, the non-refundable credit can only be used to reduce or eliminate the student’s federal/provincial tax bill but won’t generate a refund. If you aren’t able to use the full amount of the credit, any unused credits can be carried forward to a future tax year, or transferred to a spouse/common-law partner or parent/grandparent.

Here is a great Turbotax article to give you step on How do I claim my tuition fees? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.