Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I imported the data from Revenue Canada, it reported every investment I cashed as profit bringing my income to $260,000 for 2015, making my tax liability over $90000

I deleted all of those entries because that was not income but rather investments I had made then sold to purchase my home. Is that ok?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I imported the data from Revenue Canada, it reported every investment I cashed as profit bringing my income to $260,000 for 2015, making my tax liability over $90000

The difference between the purchase price of those investments and the selling price is, indeed, income.  You should ask your investment firm for a buy sell report and report these investments as capital gains.  If the info from CRA reported the full amount as income, there may not have been a cost included on the document that reported the sale of the investments.  When done correctly, you will pay 50% tax on the capital gains.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The difference between the purchase price of those investments and the selling price is, indeed, income.  You should ask your investment firm for a buy sell report and report these investments as capital gains.  If the info from CRA reported the full amount as income, there may not have been a cost included on the document that reported the sale of the investments.  When done correctly, you will pay 50% tax on the capital gains.