Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kannychow

Why is Turbotax making me pay for a simple return? Completing for retired parents, only typ. OAS, T4A, etc, no donations or expenses. Meets list of simple return. Help!

I'm doing the return for my parents, which (until this year) a simple process. They have no paperwork other than that typical for many retirees (OAS, T4A, T4A(P), T5007). They have no donations, no medical expenses, and have no other income or investments. I've been doing this for my parents in the past without issue as a simple tax return. This year though, it's telling me that I need to upgrade. I've gone through the list of what the simple tax return does not cover, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's triggering Turbotax that I need to upgrade. If someone from Turbotax or otherwise can advise, that would be wonderful (before tax deadline of course). I typically also complete my spouse's and my return through a paid Turbotax version, but I will consider going elsewhere if this can't be resolved.
1 Reply

Why is Turbotax making me pay for a simple return? Completing for retired parents, only typ. OAS, T4A, etc, no donations or expenses. Meets list of simple return. Help!

TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure you have access to the right tools and support specific to your tax needs. When starting a new return, TurboTax will ask questions about your current tax situation. Based on your return's complexity, you could be directed to a different edition of TurboTax that has all the applicable forms. The product you used in prior years may no longer be available to you as it’s not the most effective solution for your needs.

If you've entered an amount from any of the boxes on the slips listed here, you have what the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) considers to be self-employment or business income:
T4 slip: box 81, 82 or 83
T4A slip: box 20 or 48
T4A slip: box 28 and you selected Yes to the question Does the income declared in Box 028 consist of fees collected for services you provided? in TurboTax Online (needs to say NO to indicate no self-employment)
T3 slip: box 24 (foreign business income)

For more information please see our TurboTax FAQ: 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.