Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgaydon

Will charitable donations help my tax return, if I usually have a positive return anyway due to my RRSP contribution?

1 Reply

Will charitable donations help my tax return, if I usually have a positive return anyway due to my RRSP contribution?

The answer is yes. When you have already maxed out your RRSP contribution room in 2021, you are able to get a Charitable Tax Credit (CDTC) to reduce both your federal and provincial income taxes.

• The credit is available for anyone who makes a donation to a qualifying donee with the maximum donation amount can be up to 75% of your net income.
  • You should obtain a receipt and that the donee issuing it is legally entitled to do so. The CRA provides a searchable online database that allows you to confirm whether a charity is registered and eligible to issue official donation receipts.
  • You should also take a look at Schedule 9 to determine the amount you can claim.

Note: You can carry forward unused donations for up to 5 years but remember that donations can be claimed only once -> It is beneficial to claim these amounts when you are in a high tax bracket.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.