Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 2 children attending post secondary. How do I transfer unused tuition to each parent? Turbo Tax is only allowing one parent to claim both.

I would like to transfer unused tuition of one child to one parent, and the unused tuition of the other child to the other parent.  I've attempted to do this, however, it is defaulting to the same parent once I click "Continue".

7 Replies

I have 2 children attending post secondary. How do I transfer unused tuition to each parent? Turbo Tax is only allowing one parent to claim both.

You are able to decide which parent wants to claim the tuition transfer. The option is available for each student. Make sure to select the correct data button to provide the screen for this purpose. (see screen shots)

TurboTax is NOT allowing me to decide which parent wants to claim each child's unused transfer tuition amount.  Nor do the screens look like your screen shots you have provided.  It is a radio button.   When I go into the Dependent Credits for one child and choose the parent that wants to claim the unused tuition for that child, it automatically changes the parent for the other child.  I have not been able to use different parents for different children.

You don't mention which version of Turbo Tax that you are using. (See screen shot)

When I was creating the account, it asked what version, I would have no idea that you can't see it.  
The screenshot still does not explain how to input it the unused tuition of different children to separate parents.  I tried again after your last response, and again, when I entered the unused tuition for child 1 to parent 1, the child 2's unused tuition automatically changed from parent 2 to parent 1.  TurboTax is not allowing two different parents to have unused tuition transferred from different children.  Perhaps this is a flaw in TurboTax that needs to be fixed?

If you are using Turbo Tax Desk Top software then you are correct that the tuition will be aggregated onto the parent with the higher taxable income. Unfortunately the only way to work around this is to create separate individual tax returns for each parent and claim the dependant tuition individually between them. This requires extra attention to spousal information input on each tax return under the "Introduction" section. I will pass along your comments regarding the preference of splitting the tuition claim according to your own personal judgement.

If you are preparing your tax returns using our web based version then my previous screen shots are applicable and the tuition can be split between each parent as desired.
Bravo321

This doesn't make sense and should be considered a bug for the download version.