Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International student

Hi, I am a international student and I came with my common-law. we came with money and we have received monthly money from our own account. I would like to know if that is consider "foreign earnings". Also my common-law has a small company that he created around November but we have not have any earnings just little expenses. How should I proceed with that?,

thank you
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

International student

You will have to first determine your residency status.

If you are a non-resident or a deemed non-resident and you do not have any Canadian source income, then you are not required to file a Canadian tax return.

For more info: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/do-international-students-in-canada-need-to-file-taxes-5591

View solution in original post

3 Replies

International student

You will have to first determine your residency status.

If you are a non-resident or a deemed non-resident and you do not have any Canadian source income, then you are not required to file a Canadian tax return.

For more info: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/do-international-students-in-canada-need-to-file-taxes-5591

International student

Thank you for your help, We have a joint account and we also worked for a short time which make us residents. He has small expenses from his business and beside that, we have received monthly transfers from our country (from our saving account) but I don't know if that should be filed, Thanks again, Daniela R.

International student

If you received any T-slips, you will have to enter them (tuition - T2202A, T4, etc.).
Business expense: your partner will have to fill out the sections from "Income > Self-Employment".
Foreign Income: go to Income > Other Income Sources, and select Foreign Income (T1135). You may or may not have to report the monthly transfers depending on your answers.

I highly recommend answering the Interview questions at the beginning to make sure that you don't skip any forms (such as medical expenses).

Note: you won't be able to Netfile your returns because you are filing the first time. You will have to print and mail your returns.