Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paying Indiana State Tax

Hello, I e-filed on turbotax and gave my bank account number for direct deposit/deduction. However, turbotax message says I have to make payment to Indiana state that I owe- does this mean turbotax will not send payment to IN state from my account and I have to do it? Then what does e-file mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Paying Indiana State Tax

TurboTax can't send it because Indiana does not allow it.  Indiana does not do a direct debit for taxes due from the tax return.  Please make the payment using the coupon, or you can pay online at the following website:  DOR: DORpay - Tax & Bill Payment - IN.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Paying Indiana State Tax

TurboTax can't send it because Indiana does not allow it.  Indiana does not do a direct debit for taxes due from the tax return.  Please make the payment using the coupon, or you can pay online at the following website:  DOR: DORpay - Tax & Bill Payment - IN.gov

Paying Indiana State Tax

Thank you Daniel! Thank you!!

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Paying Indiana State Tax

You are welcome.

helpneeded-ind
Returning Member

Paying Indiana State Tax

Is this still accurate for tax year 2022 (filing in 2023)?  Does TurboTax NOT process Indiana state tax payments even if direct debit was specified?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Paying Indiana State Tax

While the program allows the input of the bank information and IN has changed much on their website, I would recommend paying it online so you have the proof in your hands. You can pay here.

ssb0751

Paying Indiana State Tax

I'm wondering this same thing!  For my 2022 Indiana taxes I selected direct debit on 4/1/2023, but then once I had submitted everything I got a message that I need to print off of a coupon and mail a check.  I don't want to pay twice.  Is it 100% certain that the Indiana tax I owe won't be withdrawn from my bank account and I should instead pay with a check or at Indiana's specific website?

JoeM7

Paying Indiana State Tax

I just filed my taxes and did the something. It is strange that the program asks for all the information and encourages the user to use direct debit and then the help people are telling us not to use that feature. It is very frustrating. And the worse part is that I can’t even talk to a person. I have been a long-time customer, but I will switch next year to a different company. 

Mitchemg

Paying Indiana State Tax

Did you ever find out if IN did a direct withdrawal from your account AND collected your online or mail coupon payment? Paying the state twice does not sound like fun to me and the IN directions are not clear. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Paying Indiana State Tax

Read the FILING INSTRUCTIONS page that prints out as the first page of your State Return.  It states how you can pay your state tax due.

If it says to 'Mail a check' then you have the option to do that, or pay at Indiana's website. 

@Mitchemg 

Mitchemg

Paying Indiana State Tax

While I appreciate the directive in ALL CAPS, I was referring to the original poster’s comment regarding how TurboTax has you input your bank information to pay your state return. And that is BEFORE you are able to print your state return, let alone read the first page! If IN requires an online payment or mail submittal, that is fine however that is NOT the issue. The issue is with TurboTax misleading it’s users with incorrect and seemingly invalid directive when owing and paying IN state return fees. 

ssb0751

Paying Indiana State Tax

As an update, Indiana pulled the tax amount automatically from my bank account the day after I scheduled it to be pulled on Turbotax.  I literally was about to drop off a physical check in the mail when it was finally automatically pulled from my bank account.  I ended up doing nothing special for Indiana--and hopefully there won't be any other complications.  What a frustrating experience!  

vaioy

Paying Indiana State Tax

This happened to me exactly as you described. After I finalized and submitted online my filing to both Federal and IN state taxes, with requests to both to directly debit from my account, I saw this coupon slip that I need to print out for sending in a physical check to the IN Dept of Revenue (IN DOR).

Then I remember that last year (for the 2022 filing), I did not send in the check before 4/15 because I assumed that IN DOR had debit my State tax, but it did not. I was penalized for late payment because I only realized that my State tax was not debited by IN DOR. I had to mail a check + the interests of late payment to IN DOR.

So, this year (for the 2023 tax filing) I printed out the coupon from Turbotax and sent in my check (after realizing that I also entered my bank account debit information for the State and Federal tax as Turbno tax presented to users). My check went through on the assigned date this month. However, when I checked my bank account this morning, there was also a direct debit from my bank account, a week after the assigned date !!! That means I have paid my IN State tax twice, with IN DOR double dipping my money that amount to $16k now ! 

I made an in-person appointment at the Indy state house to see what IN DOR can do to change this. No doubt, it will take months before I see my $8000 paid back.  

Paying Indiana State Tax

I also got the same message to print a coupon for paying Indiana state taxes, after I had already entered all of my bank account information in Turbotax for the amount to be debited automatically.

Based on some of the responses above, it looks like Indiana is now accepting direct debits from one's bank account done through Turbotax, and I don't need to send a physical check or make a separate online payment to the Indiana Dept of Revenue? Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Paying Indiana State Tax

It is our understanding that the direct debit is working correctly now. If the debit is not made within 2 weeks of the expected date, you should contact the IN DOR or call  (317) 232-2240.

@mo20221 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies