Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I see where I'm supposed to get a tax credit for installing a charging station for my EV. I installed it in 2022. Where can I find this form?

This is for my 2023 EV.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I see where I'm supposed to get a tax credit for installing a charging station for my EV. I installed it in 2022. Where can I find this form?

For an energy-efficient vehicle tax credit

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station, click the start or update button

Or enter energy efficient vehicle in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to energy efficient vehicle

Note - The IRS Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit will not be finalized and available in TurboTax until 01/26/2023

View solution in original post

11 Replies

For an energy-efficient vehicle tax credit

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station, click the start or update button

Or enter energy efficient vehicle in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to energy efficient vehicle

Note - The IRS Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit will not be finalized and available in TurboTax until 01/26/2023

psen
Level 1

I'm at the right spot and entered $1643 (includes costs of charger + installation) for the "Energy-Efficient Vehicle Station Summary", but end result is the following - says "This form will not be included in the tax return you file"

Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit $0

PattiF
Expert Alumni

It seems to be common that the Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit claimed on Form 8911 is often disallowed or calculated to be $0 without any explanation.  There are two possible reasons for this.  One, you must have a high enough tax liability in order to claim the credit since it is non-refundable and is only used to reduce your tax liability.  Or two, the tentative minimum tax calculation is causing it to be disallowed.

The tentative minimum tax is the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) which is calculated in parallel with the 'traditional' income tax calculation.  When your return is complete, it will be determined whether you are required to be subject to AMT or not.  Even though you may not be subject to AMT, if your tentative AMT tax is greater than your net regular tax, then the Form 8911 credit is disallowed.

Take a look at your Form 8911.  The amounts reported on lines 16 and 17 may explain why you are not eligible to claim the credit.  If Line 17 (tentative minimum tax) is greater than line 16 (net regular tax), then the credit is disallowed regardless of whether you are subject to Alternative Minimum Tax or not.

This situation is outlined in the IRS Instructions for Form 8911 if you care to read more.  This is the specific section to read -- Line 17.

@psen 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does TurboTax take into account the Census tract for possible EV charger credit?   

To enter the EV charger credit, type in the search bar Form 8911

Then Jump to 8911

For the home energy credit, scroll down to Your Home / Home Energy credits and enter the information there.

A couple of screens down, it will ask you if your home was in the US. If the answer is yes then your property would fall in the category as an eligible census tract that qualifies under the 30C qualfications and thus you will be entitled to the credit. 

See HERE  on the bottom of the page  under Q7 A

If you are saying that by falling in the US, the taxpayer's census tract qualifies for the EV fueling station credit, that's definitely wrong. 

About 2/3 of the US is eligible, which is obviously not all. Lower income and rural areas will qualify.

To answer the previous user's (@Musky12) question, I am in an ineligible census tract (urban and high income), and after typing in my address and census GEOID, turbotax updated my estimated refund to give me the 30% credit.

So, it doesn't look to me like TurboTax is doing this correctly.

Hey, @AbrahamT :

As scandellan indicated, what TurboTax is doing is incorrect, i.e. TurboTax did not apply the credit based on IRS location requirement. Please let me know if Intuit will correct this in near future.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please provide a GEOID for a census tract that would not qualify so we can test this further.

@jptbt8 

As scandellan indicated, there are 1/3 of the US is not eligible, i.e. you should and you can very easily find GEOID which is either eligible or not eligible for the credit, there is NO need to ask GEOID from customer to test further.

@PatriciaV 

The census tract I am in is not supposed to qualify for the EVSE tax credit, but TurboTax went ahead and gave it to me anyway (obviously, I caught the error and manually deleted the entry).

GEOID 53 zero 33 zero1 zero 6 zero 2

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, the instructions in TurboTax (How do I find my Census Tracts GEOID) are to find your census tract and look on the 2015 and 2020 census tract eligibility lists that are provided in the hyperlink and if your tract is not on either list, it is not eligible and you would not enter a tract number in the box.  If no census tract is entered, then you will not be able to proceed with claiming the credit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies