Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reference code 9021 out 4k becuase I used adopted daughter new social number

adopted my child a few months ago but have had custody of her for 3 years now. The past 2 years bio father illegally claimed her useing her original social number. I filed useing her new social number and apparent that was the wrong thing to do becuase they removed her from my taxes so I didn’t receive 4000$ I was supposed to receive for her . That number was higher becuase they owed me money from last years stimuluses that I didn’t get becuase of him claiming her last year illegally as well! I am so over this I can’t wait for next year when her new social will be fine to use and I don’t have to keep going through this bs becuase of this looser who is no longer her father and has no rights and hasn’t seen her in three years. Now I need to find a way to get ahold of the irs to explain the situation and have them give me the money for her that I rightfully deserve as iv had her for three years and adopted her. I don’t know how to get ahold of the irs I am at a loss right now. If I can manage to get ahold of a appointment line with my local office do you think this is something they would be able to help with weather I have to file a appeal to there discussion of un qualifying her on my taxes or whatever I have to do but it’s not right I need to do something and I am completely lost due to not being able to get ahold of anyone to get info on what I am supposed to do now so I don’t loose out on 4k that I legally mine while this looser has recieved 10k the last two years for a child her hurt and abandoned. 😡😡😡 I’m so over it. What can I do, what form can I file, and where . 
thank you 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sadly mailed in returns are taking 6 months or longer to process and if you efiled after mailing in the return and the mailed in return was also in the system then this duplicate filing could delay things even further and there is nothing you can really do but wait for the dust to settle.    

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

View solution in original post

11 Replies

I think the Tax Advocate might be able to help you.  In any case, it's going to be a long haul, as you will need to gather and provide lots of documentation.  Could your adoption lawyer help you with this?

Taxpayer Advocate | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Also see:

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity? | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

So yes I have a whole stack of papers that I attaches to my efile but obviously they didn’t look at them, that’s why I’m hoping to get ahold of someone so I can show them all the papers , I have all court custody papers from before the adoption, and have the adoption paperwork, court adoption decree, new social card, old social card, all papers from dcf, all papers from school and medical. But obviously the adoption decree and custody papers prove she’s been here alone . I just can’t get ahold of anyone to look at these papers 

Carl
Level 15

Quit trying to call the IRS on this. You need face-to-face in person contact with a human who is physically in this country.

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

Well exactly that’s why I’m wondering if I could make an appointment at my local IRS office which isn’t that local still almost 2 hours away . But I’ll drive it as long as I know they will be able to help with a issue like this 

Something you said may be the key to your issue ... you said you got a NEW SS# for the child so if you filed the return after the filing deadline using a SS# that was not issued before the deadline then you are not entitiled to any CTC or EIC on the return which may be what was disallowed ... so when you talk to an IRS  agent make sure to ask about the timing on the issued SS#.  The TT program would allow the credits but  the IRS would not  and since you cannot use their old SS# once a new one has been issued you may be out of luck. 

@MommaDonna70 - did you originally file 2018, 2019, 2020 claiming the child with the old SSN? @Critter-3 's point is quite valid and could be problematic.

So I originally filled by mail useing the old social security number this year. Since her looser bio father used her regular social illegally I had to mail my return. Waited three months with no updates or able to get ahold of anyone, then finally the new social number was issues and I talked to A tax professional who obv was wrong and told me I could just refile electronically with the new social number… well obviously not. So the mailed return with the old social is still sitting around there somewhere or lost. I have only filed her the last year and this year. And both years her bio father illegally claimed her . 

Ok ... that is a real tangled mess  ... if the IRS accepted the efiled return with the new SS# then the original mailed in return may never be processed at all.  Please seek local professional assistance either at a local income tax office or with a tax attorney/enrolled agent. 

What you will need to do is file a form 14039 to get an IP PIN for the child so no one else can use their SS# on a return without the PIN.  This should stop the bio dad in the future. 

@Critter-3 So I originally filled by mail useing the old social security number this year. Since her looser bio father used her regular social illegally I had to mail my return. Waited three months with no updates or able to get ahold of anyone, then finally the new social number was issues and I talked to A tax professional who obv was wrong and told me I could just refile electronically with the new social number… well obviously not. So the mailed return with the old social is still sitting around there somewhere or lost. I have only filed her the last year and this year. And both years her bio father illegally claimed her . 

Sadly mailed in returns are taking 6 months or longer to process and if you efiled after mailing in the return and the mailed in return was also in the system then this duplicate filing could delay things even further and there is nothing you can really do but wait for the dust to settle.    

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

@Critter-3 

Thank you, so I’m glad I atleast got part of it but really hoping the other 4k is not a lost cause. As I have had her this entire time. I think I will try you’re way of trying to get ahold of them on Monday, Hopfully it works , if not I’ll try to make an appointment with local irs office and hope that it’s something they can actually help with since it is a two hour drive. 
thank you so much for you’re detailed response it really helps. As long as I get that money owed eventually I don’t mind waiting at this point just need to make sure I take the right steps . 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies