Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3885L

I was not allowed to e-file 568 for CA FTB, because of one of the 8 possible reasons as shown on the TurboTax Desktop software. After much digging around within the forms and sections, realized that this was due to "Depreciation/amortization on 3885L (Sch B Ln 17a)".  I do have a non-zero value. 

I noticed on page 4 of the 586 form there was Schedule B Ln 17 a with a value > 0. This is fine but there are 2 issues:

Turbo tax said I would need to mail in and would let me print the form, however printed form had only up to page 3 of 568. If the purpose was to supplement what was on page 4 with a 3885L I don't understand how it makes sense to strip out the most relevant pages. Once I finished e-filing federal and CA individual, now my data was lost that I had originally put into Turbo Tax software for those pages.

I realized that for whatever reason TurboTax doesn't have the capability to electronically file 3885L and this is the root cause. However, it did generate a 3885A which is pretty much the same as the 3885L except dep and amortization are split into 2 sections. Having never filed either of these forms before, can I just use the 3885A as reference to fill in 3885L and mail in 568 from pages 1-7? (Are pages 4-7 required or not)?

Does TT intend to support 3885L in the future or is this a limitation enforced by CA state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

3885L

Another Question in this regard - The 3885A lists my Home office as a depreciation however the total on the Schedule B 17 A is without the Home office depreciation and includes other assets like computer equipment. The full filing includes the 8829 (Exp for business use of home) - In this case do I not include home office depreciation within 3885L - As only in this case the amount matches what Turbo Tax auto filled for Schedule B 17 a (I am unable to edit it). Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies