Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

8915-F error

Hi

Hi 

I need your help on this topic. 

My tax return was rejected for the error in Form 8915-F.

For background info, I withdrew $30,000 under the Covid Relief Distribution in 2020, and I decided to pay the taxes for $10,000 each for the next three years. So, this year is the final year for the remaining $10,000.

Now, when I filled out the form under 1099, there is a question like this:

Did Changsop take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution? So, I clicked Yes.

And the next question is 'If this was a Corona virus-related distribution in 2020, check here X'

So, I checked that box.

After the review is done okay, I submitted it but rejected for the above reason.

I have no idea why I was rejected.

By the way, this is Turbo's solution:

What needs to be done:

This return cannot be electronically filed due to invalid information on Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments. Print your return and review information that appears on Form 8915-F: - If there is a FEMA number listed on line C, it must be a valid federally declared disaster n number, and it must be formatted as XX-NNNN-ST, where XX is either DR or EM, NNNN is a four digit number, and ST is a valid state abbreviation. - If box D is checked, no FEMA number should be listed on line C. If corrections are needed, go to Federal Taxes / Income, then scroll down to the section on Retirement, and select the 1099-R topic. If you have 1099-R entries, go to the end of the 1099-R summary, and select Continue. If you do not have any 1099-R entries for the current year, answer no when you see the question, Did you receive any 1099-R Forms? Then click continue. Follow the steps below to correct invalid information: 1) Answer on-screen questions until you get to the screen. "Did You take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?" 2) Mark the yes box at the top of the screen. 3) If you need to correct the FEMA Number that appears on Form 8915-F, line C, you must clear the checkbox labeled "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here". Then proceed to the next screen, where you can select a valid FEMA number. Click continue. If you need to clear the FEMA Number, go back and select the blank entry at the top of the FEMA dropdown list. 4) If necessary, go back to the screen in step 1, and check the box to indicate that this was a Coronavirus-related distribution. After making corrections, print for 8915-F and review information on lines C and D. Review for errors and re-submit the return for electronic filing. If the reject continues, you will need to print and file the return by mail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Andera
Returning Member

8915-F error

You have to Uncheck the Covid box, then continue  to the next screen. Leave the qualified disaster box blank and press continue. 

Then you will press the back button and recheck the Covid box. 

When you get to the Review before filing look for form 8915. Line C should be blank & Line D should be checked. 

This will allow you yo submit without rejection. 

View solution in original post

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

8915-F error

Here is a work around provided by expert DanaB27:

Please try these steps to fix the rejection issue:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and continue.

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

@Abja09 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

63 Replies

8915-F error

That is a Turbo Tax Error.  The program is writing "Covid" on line C, when they are supposed to check D and leave C blank.  I spent over 90 minutes with multiple techs and so far, they cannot manage to fix it. 

8915-F error

I would like to share your frustration. 

I heard they are working on it and fix it by Mon.

Let's see. 

johnshirley
Returning Member

8915-F error

This seems to be a shared misery.

On its surface, the 8915-F does seem simplistic enough: if you've a sanctioned disaster, add the appropriate disaster codes in line C. If it's for covid, check line D and leave C blank. It seems somebody in the code logic thought it would be appropriate to put in a literal "N/A" into line C. Nope, just needs to be left blank. But, as a taxpayer, it ends up in what seems like a perpetual loop of deleting the auto-generated form, resubmitting the return, only to have the IRS logic reject it because of the literal "N/A" in line C of the 8915-F.

I wonder if there's somebody we can reach at Intuit to correct the issue and stop assuming that nulls, blanks, zeroes, and "not applicable" all mean the same thing. Or just delete N/A.

8915-F error

I talked to a couple of Turbo Tax experts,  and they said Turbo was aware of this problem,  and working on it. I heard they would fix it by Mon.

So, l'll try it again tomorrow. 

8915-F error

I found the fix!   Make a copy of save your current 8915-F  because when you do this, it will not auto fill.    Go back in your return to Tax Tools.  Select "delete a form".    Deleting the 8915 is not enough, find the 2020 Qualified Distribution worksheet and delete that.  Then go back to income and redo the section.   When the questions come up about your 2020 distribution fill in this numbers (generally, the 1/3rd amount will go in 12, 13 and 15 and 14 will be zero).   Double check the new tax form and it the "covid" should be gone.

8915-F error

Mims 77

So, did you refile your tax returns, based on your fix, and accepted by  IRS?

Please let me know about your updates. 

Before trying your method, I want to doublecheck. 

Thanks. 

8915-F error

Yes so far so good 

8915-F error

Great!

Based on your fix, let me double check it with the TurboTax experts before refiling it tomorrow. 

I'll get back to you here.

Thank you!

8915-F error

I did these steps and have an NA in the box which is what I had before. Do you know if it got accepted for you with the NA or is your box C totally blank? TurboTax was zero help when I called them. 

8915-F error

Mine was blank.   Previously it said “Covid” and not N/A.    Once I deleted the 2030 worksheet and the redid the questions it took it out 

johnshirley
Returning Member

8915-F error

Successfully corrected and submitted.

Excellent work tracking it down. I kept trying to delete the 8915-F but hadn't quite got to deleting the form that generated it.

8915-F error

So, your refiled return was accepted?

johnshirley
Returning Member

8915-F error

Yes.

8915-F error

I saw Covid in #3  in the 7591-F, then x marked in the next question #4,  Did you have Covid-related distribution?

That was the one rejected by IRS.

So, I am going to ask the TurboTax expert tomorrow before refiling.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies