Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim bonus depreciation on floating luxury vinyl plank?

I replace the entire rental property flooring from glue-down vinyl tile to floating luxury vinyl plank.

I am pretty sure this is an improvement and must be depreciated, but I wonder if the floating (not glue down) vinyl plank is considered “permanent” and can I claim bonus depreciation on the newly installed flooring?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Carl
Level 15

I am pretty sure this is an improvement and must be depreciated,

It's a property improvement and must be depreciated as such.

I wonder if the floating (not glue down) vinyl plank is considered “permanent”

Taking it up reduces the cost basis of the property overall. You're not gonna remove it and take it with you when you sell the property. It's permanently "a physical part of" the structure and gets capitalized and depreciated as such.

can I claim bonus depreciation on the newly installed flooring?

No. Because the flooring is a physical part of the structure, it gets classified the same as the structure as Residential Rental Real Estate and depreciated over 27.5 years. Hence, it's not eligible for bonus depreciation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Sorry ... flooring is 27.5 year property and is not eligible for bonus depreciation. 

Carl
Level 15

I am pretty sure this is an improvement and must be depreciated,

It's a property improvement and must be depreciated as such.

I wonder if the floating (not glue down) vinyl plank is considered “permanent”

Taking it up reduces the cost basis of the property overall. You're not gonna remove it and take it with you when you sell the property. It's permanently "a physical part of" the structure and gets capitalized and depreciated as such.

can I claim bonus depreciation on the newly installed flooring?

No. Because the flooring is a physical part of the structure, it gets classified the same as the structure as Residential Rental Real Estate and depreciated over 27.5 years. Hence, it's not eligible for bonus depreciation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies