turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed as resident alien in 2021, 2022. Left US permanently in Oct 2023. Meet substantial presence test for 2023. Should I file as dual-status for 2023 due to Oct departure? No worldwide income after leaving US.

I previously filed as a resident alien for tax years 2021 and 2022. In October 2023, I permanently departed the United States. While meeting the substantial presence test for 2023, I came across information regarding dual-status tax filing.

My question is: Considering my October departure, should I file my 2023 tax return as a dual-status alien? Additionally, if dual-status filing is appropriate, what criteria qualify me as a non-resident alien for the remaining months of 2023?

It's important to note that I haven't earned any income from outside the US since my departure.

I would appreciate any guidance on the most accurate way to file my 2023 tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Filed as resident alien in 2021, 2022. Left US permanently in Oct 2023. Meet substantial presence test for 2023. Should I file as dual-status for 2023 due to Oct departure? No worldwide income after leaving US.

I would file as a resident alien for 2023 since you have no additional worldwide income to report. The only reason why you would file as a dual-status alien is if you earned income in the country where you live now and you would wish to have it excluded on a US resident return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I would file as a resident alien for 2023 since you have no additional worldwide income to report. The only reason why you would file as a dual-status alien is if you earned income in the country where you live now and you would wish to have it excluded on a US resident return.

@DaveF1006 - Appreciate your guidance, Dave! Very helpful. Thank you so much! 

@DaveF1006 - A quick follow-up question. I resided solely in New York in 2023. Would the same logic apply for filing my NY state tax return for 2023? Instead of filing as a part-year resident, can I file my NY returns as a resident?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may file your NY return as a resident as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies