Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has anyone else experienced an issue with turbotax desktop importing w-2 numbers from a prior year into this year's return?

Today my husband asked me to check our gross income so he could update his student loan info.  I hopped into turbotax and gave him the number and he said "not possible" and told me what his two w-2s combined should roughly be.  We discovered that despite the fact that I typed in the 2023 w-2 numbers, somehow turbotax had changed the numbers back to the ones from 2022. I don't even understand how this could happen, I am 100% positive I typed in the 2023 numbers (I even have a screenshot of them correctly entered at one point).  I had absolutely no reason to assume something like this could happen, so I didn't notice before submitting.  Now I have to file an amendment but I'm not sure I even trust turbotax to help me do this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Has anyone else experienced an issue with turbotax desktop importing w-2 numbers from a prior year into this year's return?

TurboTax only imports W-2 and Form 1099 tax data that is provided by the import partners who handle those forms.  If the import partner provided incorrect tax year data, TurboTax cannot verify the accuracy of the tax data being imported.  Nor can any other tax preparation software vendor who has import capabilities. 

It is the taxpayer's responsibility to verify the information on the their tax return before filing.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a current year tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

This make sense, but the thing is, I never actually import my w-2s, I always type them in by hand. What I’m saying is that at some point when using TurboTax 2023 (desktop), I opened the 2022 version (to check a number) and somehow the w-2 data from that year automatically populated and overrode the data I had entered for 2023. I understand it was my fault for missing the final numbers before submitting, but this is a wild glitch, I certainly didn’t type those old numbers in by hand into the 2023 software. It would have been exceedingly tedious as I didn’t even have those w-2’s accessible to me when I was doing this year’s taxes. 

Did you use the Online version or the Desktop program?  Are you sure you were looking at the 2023 and not 2022 return?  And when he said "not possible" was he considering his income minus things like 401k contributions?  The wages in box 1 might be a lot less than his gross wages.  Also what "gross income"  did you give him?  Wages on1040 line 1 or the AGI on line 11 or taxable income on line 15?  

Oh  you said Desktop?  Did you use Desktop for both  years?  Have you actually printed out both 2023 & 2022 and compared them?  Maybe you have more than 1 2023 return?  When you go up to File - Open is there another return?  Your tax data files end in .tax2022 and .tax2023.  In Windows they should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  

Before you amend you should get a transcript from the IRS and see what was filed.  Request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

I posted my reply above before seeing your second post.  But just opening your 2022 return could not have possibly done that.  Maybe you then stayed in 2022 and entered more  of 2023 into the 2022 program?  But you would have not been able to efile it.  Did you efile or mail 2023?  

Efiled! This is why I’m so confused. But I remember re-opening the 2023 one day (I had been working on it piecemeal) and suddenly the amount owed had changed and I remembered thinking that was odd. And the program was acting very glitchy, not responding to clicks right away. I re-checked all my self-employed entries, thinking I must have messed something up on that end and that’s why the number changed, but those were all correct for 2023. I didn’t even think to recheck the w-2 because in no world did I imagine those numbers would have changed. 

I did check my transcript. It has the w2 numbers from 2022 :( So I definitely need to amend. No other versions of my return on my computer. I used desktop both years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies