Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to claim full foreign tax credit - FORM 1116 IS THE MOST CONFUSING FORM EVER!!!!

Every year, I struggle filling out FORM 1116 in TurboTax. This year, I thought I had everything finalized, but upon Final Review it made me attempt to enter Adjusted Basis values of my foreign investments and all holdings that ended up with me owing $1,500 more in taxes.

I have a couple thousand dollars of carry-forward foreign tax credits and in 2023 alone I paid $2,400 in foreign taxes, but no matter how I answer the questions I am getting limited to only a $663 foreign tax credit. I know you need to have paid taxes in order to get the credit, which I clearly did, but I can't see how else I'm being limited here. 

It all comes down to values I'm entering on "Adjusted Basis for Assets". This screen is highly confusing with no explanation of what should go into these cells. Is this an adjusted cost basis of my foreign vs. all investments, is this a current market value of these? None of the values I need for this are included in my Schwab 1099 Composite statement. Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies