Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report Form 1099-S for my second home sale?

After holding my 2nd home for more than 10 years, I sold it last year.   The sale price was lower than the originally purchase price, and so I had a money loss.  My questions are:

1. At Turbo tax, how to report this form 1099-S of my 2nd home sale?

2. For the money loss that I got on this house sale, can I deduct any tax? If so, how to use the loss to deduct tax?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

1.    Once you are in your tax return , click on the "Personal" tab 

2.    Next click on "Personal Income" 

3.    Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” 

4.    Scroll to the section “Investment Income”

5.    Choose “Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other” and select “start’ or “update” if you have already worked on this section

6.    The screen will ask if you sold any investments. select “yes” 

7.    Since you did not receive a 1099-B, select “no” to the 1099-B question

8.    Select I'll enter one sale at a time or if some versions Choose type of investment you sold - select Second Home

the loss is not deductible so enter the cost equal to the sales price

Thanks for your helpful feedback! I have two follow-up questions:

1. For your input "Scroll to the section “Investment Income”":  As this is a 2nd home, instead of an investment property, is it still classified as "Investment Income" so that I should report the 2nd home sale here?

2. For your input "the loss is not deductible so enter the cost equal to the sales price": what's the reason it's not deductible, since this "investment" encountered a loss?

Thanks.

I should have added something, my answers assume it was never rented and was never your principal residence.

The IRS indicates that the most important factor in determining your “principal residence” is where you spend the most time. However, if you live in more than one home, there are other factors to consider. These factors are:

• The address where you are registered to vote.
• The address you use on your federal and state tax returns.
• The address listed on your driver’s license or car registration.
• The address on file with the U.S Postal Service.

The length of time any of these factors have applied to that particular dwelling may also be an influencing factor in determining a principal residence for tax purposes. The address where you have voted and filed your returns from for many years is less likely to be questioned than one you used for one or two years. In addition, the IRS considers your principal residence as that residence close to:

• Where you work.
• Where you bank.
• Where your family members live.
• Where you are part of a club or organization.

1. For your input "Scroll to the section “Investment Income”:  As this is a 2nd home, instead of an investment property, is it still classified as "Investment Income" so that I should report the 2nd home sale here?

that's the section you have to use in Turbotax for entry of the sale. see below for a discussion of losses on the sale of a personal item vs gain on the sale of the same personal item.

2. For your input "the loss is not deductible so enter the cost equal to the sales price": what's the reason it's not deductible, since this "investment" encountered a loss?

that's just the section in Turbotax to enter the sale.  Losses on the sale of any personal residence 1st, 2nd, etc. is not deductible nor are losses from the sale or exchange of other personal items. For example, the sale of a vehicle with 100% personal use for less than what you paid is not deductible but if sold for more than you paid it's taxable. The same is true for that second home. A loss is not deductible but a gain is fully taxable. Just the way our tax system works. The only reason to report this sale is that you got a 1099-S. if you don't report it then you may get a bill from the IRS because it will use a cost of zero. Thus it assumes the proceeds are fully taxable and bills you accordingly. it has happened to others. then you would have to file an amended return.    

whitebb
Returning Member

I had a 5th wheel trailer we had lived in full time, went to sale it and found a old hole in roof that required repairing at cost of $10,000.00 ,New roof. Trailer loan was $23,554,00 and had to pay difference.  Trailer was appraised for $23,631.00, It was my home at the time. Insurance wiggled out of paying damage,

Can i show loss on my tax's

MayaD
Expert Alumni

No. You can't deduct your loss. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies